CALL US: 012 644 4300

If it is an emergency, call 10111 so that you can be assisted by the police immediately. If it is not an emergency, you should lay a charge at your nearest police station as soon as possible. Make a statement about the events that occurred. The police officer helping you must give you a CAS number for the case. Keep this CAS number and also write down the name and rank of the police officer who helped you. A complainant has the right to know how the case is progressing. You can therefore call the police station at any time and enquire about the case.

The complainant must inform the police officer if his address or telephone number has changed, if he is going to be away for quite a while, if he has obtained new information, when he is being intimidated by the accused or members of his or her family, or if he was offered money to withdraw the case.

The police have to investigate the case and prepare the docket for the public prosecutor. The case is then brought before the court and the presiding officer must decide whether or not the accused is guilty. If the person is found guilty and is sentenced, there are various kinds of sentences ranging from a fine, community supervision and a suspended sentence/delayed detention to imprisonment.

The complainant has the right to be informed of the date of release or parole date of the accused. The complainant also has the right to make submissions to the parole board.


Registreer / Register

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Maak toe / Close